Eversource Energy Senior Engineer - System Planning Distribution (Westwood, MA) in Westwood, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
Role and Scope of Position:
The Senior Engineer in System Planning provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the modeling and development of the distribution system in the Eversource Eastern Massachusetts service territory. This role performs distribution power flow analyses including support for interconnecting distributed energy resources, analysis and development strategy for future bulk substations capacity needs, along with supporting associated preparations for summer loading and performance during heat waves.
Assists in development of the distribution load forecast; this task includes:
Collecting all bulk substation peak demands
- Collecting distributed generation connected to distribution system that are larger than 500kW
Collecting new customer load additions
Assists in analysis of the distribution energy resource interconnections; this task includes:
Screening applications for DER or DG interconnections in the project queue
Managing the impact analysis of DER or DG interconnections on the distribution system
Assists in the development of the strategic future bulk substation capacity; this task includes:
Collecting bulk transformer capacity ratings
- Evaluating each bulk substation capacity limit
Performing Power flow studies to transfer load between substations
Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to eliminate substation overloads
- Contributes to the development of the budget for Distribution Electric Operations through development of cost effective programs and projects to meet customer and system needs
Interfacing with distribution system engineering, distribution and bulk dispatch in operations to establish mutual understanding of peak load planning needs and plans
Other supporting tasks include:
Employs teamwork with engineers in System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
Determination of loss factors for the Eversource Massachusetts distribution system which includes the calculation of transformer load and no-load loss as well as calculation of the losses on the primary and secondary wire and cable network (overhead and underground)
- Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing
- Trains junior staff in technical analyses and procedures
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
- Strong understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as reliability, load flow, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
- Strong technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
- Knowledge and experience using distribution modeling and analysis software for load optimization, power flow, voltage sag, and fault analysis
- Thorough understanding of engineering economics
· Ability to understand and interpret complex documents
· Ability to analyze data and information and extract relevant factors
· Ability to work effectively with various levels within the organization
· Ability to answer data requests for regulatory bodies.
· Ability to multi-task and shift among multiple priorities simultaneously
· Strong customer focus
· Initiative and personal ownership
· Strong cooperative skills while working in teams
· Ability to perform storm duty assignments
· Functional understanding of computerized business systems
· Demonstrated skill with MS Office applications as well as Internet-based tools and resources
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related.
Advanced Degree is preferred
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications: Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
Working Conditions: Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires sitting, standing and general movement throughout the office area. Problem Solving & Complexity
Work includes analyzing, consulting, designing, implementing, presenting, leading and coordinating. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor