Eversource Energy Senior Environmental Specialist in Westwood, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
The Senior Environmental Specialist is responsible for environmental compliance related to the management of environmental reserve sites where Eversource has liability. Specifically, the Senior Environmental Specialist will oversee field work and manage contractors across three states involved in property due diligence evaluations, preparation of remedial action and implementation plans; and management of remediation activities to achieve site closure under cleanup laws and regulations. The Senior Environmental Specialist will include the interpretation of rules, regulations, laws and policies related to environmental assessment and remediation, and monitor new and pending rules related to site cleanup (including soil, soil vapor, groundwater, surface water and building materials). The Senior Environmental Specialist analyzes and interprets data; writes and reviews reports and prepares presentations; and manages project budgets and corporate reserve accounts. The Senior Environmental Specialist will interface with a variety of Eversource personnel, legal counsel, and regulatory agency staff; and requires a working knowledge of environmental regulations in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Serve as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) subject matter expert for Environmental Remediation.
- Oversee site assessment and remediation activities ensuring strict compliance with applicable state and federal rules.
- Project manage contracts, including specifications and bid documents, Request for Proposals (RFP) coordination, and environmental consultants and vendors.
- Ensure real estate pre-acquisition and sale environmental due diligence activities are in accordance with ASTM and standard industry practices.
- Accountable for budgets associated with site assessments, remediation and property due diligence.
- Attend public hearings, public meetings and other forums as needed.
- Manage third party reserve sites where Eversource has liability.
- Track and monitor sites with land use restrictions to ensure compliance.
- Track and monitor subordination agreements to ensure compliance.
- Lead environmental reserve reporting process.
- Work with Accounting, Real Estate, Legal and other groups.
- Ensure policies and procedures are up to date and reflective of current rules.
Technical Knowledge/Skills : Strong working knowledge of the state and federal environmental rules, including PCB management, remediation, and real estate due diligence. Strong project management, organizational and analytical skills are required.
Education : A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science or related field required. Masters degree in Engineering, Environmental Science or related field preferred.
Experience : A minimum of (8) eight years of utility environmental experience (in either industry or consulting) preferred. Experience with state environmental regulations in Massachusetts, Connecticut and/or New Hampshire preferred. Expertise and working knowledge in PCB management, environmental assessment and remediation, and hazardous waste management preferred.
Licenses & Certifications : Possession of certification as CT Licensed Environmental Professional, MA Licensed Site Professional and/or NH Professional Geologist a plus.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor